Nowadays there are so many ways to cook cauliflower, but this is definitely one of my favorite recipes! You can make the recipe vegan or gluten free if needed. I used dairy cheese and for the milk I only had almond milk, but use what you have! It will turn out fabulous! Enjoy this Recipe of the Week!
For the cheese sauce:
- 2 TBS butter (can use vegan butter)
- 2 TBS flour (can use gluten free)
- 2 cups milk (I used Elmhurst milked almonds)
- 1 cup shredded organic cheddar cheese (can use vegan shreds)
- 2-3 teaspoons dijon mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2-3 dashes of ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large head of cauliflower cut into small florets and the stem cut into small pieces
- 1 small bag of frozen peas
- 1 cup panko or breadcrumbs
- Cooking oil spray
In a large pot, heat water to a boil and add a few tablespoons of salt. Add cauliflower and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
Drain it and return to the pot
Meanwhile, heat a smaller saucepan on low heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour to cook for about one minute.
Add the milk slowly and whisk continuously about 3 minutes
Add the cheese and whisk until it melts
Add mustard, paprika, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens about 3 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Pour cheese sauce over cauliflower and toss to coat. Add frozen peas. They will defrost.
Coat a baking dish with oil spray and add cauliflower. Sprinkle with panko, spray with oil spray and sprinkle with paprika.
Bake for about 25 minutes and put under the broiler for 2 minutes if topping needs more browning.