This week’s delicious pasta recipe is adapted from @COSMICCOOKIE! My lentil recipe makes 2 batches worth, so you can use one cup for this pasta recipe and have enough leftover to make something new and exciting this week! Get creative and make a delicious salad topped with lentils, your favorite veggies and a sprinkling of Feta, or use them to make Vegetarian Tacos with all of your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Part 1 - Make your lentils!
- 2 ½ cups French green, black or red lentils.
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt,
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ TBS honey
- ¼ tsp. hot smoked Spanish paprika or Hungarian sweet paprika (I love the smoked in this dish. Wonderful flavor!)
(NOTE: I used what I had on hand - 1 cup green and 2 ½ cups red lentils, rinsed, picked through - so use whatever works for you!)
1. Combine lentils and 1 tsp. salt in a large saucepan and pour in cold water to cover by at least 1”.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer gently until lentils are tender but still have some bite (like al dente pasta), about 15-20 minutes. Make sure to check on them at 15 minutes to see how you like them.
3. Drain and return to pot.
4. Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, honey, paprika, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt in a small bowl or measuring glass. Pour vinaigrette over hot lentils and toss to coat. Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving to give lentils time to absorb flavors from vinaigrette.
(NOTE: Lentils can be prepared 5 days ahead. Transfer to an airtight container; cover and chill)
Part 2 - Use your lentils in this delicious pasta recipe! INGREDIENTS: -1 cup lentils - 1 tablespoon olive oil - ½ cup chopped onion - ¼ cup chopped celery - ¼ cup chopped carrot - 4 cloves chopped garlic - 1 tablespoon tomato paste - 1 teaspoon salt - ¼ teaspoon ground pepper - 1 bay leaf - ½ teaspoon dried oregano - ¼ teaspoon dried thyme - ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg - ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon - ½ cup red wine - 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (I had one 18 oz jar of crushed tomatoes and 1 ½ cups of leftover marinara sauce)
PREPARATION: 1. Make lentils according to recipe above 2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and saute the onion, celery, and carrot over medium-high heat until the vegetables become very soft, about 5-6 minutes 3. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, nutmeg and cinnamon and cook for a minute until the spices are fragrant. 4. Add the wine to the pan and cook, deglazing the pan, until most of the liquid has evaporated. 5. Add the lentils and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, until the lentil sauce has thickened. 6. Serve over your favorite pasta. I highly recommend Stonewall Kitchen Tagliatelle (Organic Durum Wheat Semolina)