I wanted to make a side dish with the few items I had left in my fridge and it turned out fantastic! I found a wedge of napa cabbage, a couple handfuls of spinach and pine nuts were in the freezer! For my #recipeoftheweek I present you with “What’s Left in my Veggie Drawer Orzo”.
- 16 0z package orzo
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 5 garlic cloves sliced
- Small wedge napa cabbage chopped
- 5 thin green onions chopped
- Salt and pepper
1. In a saucepan heat 1 TBS olive oil on medium heat.
2. Add orzo until slightly browned.
3. Add water to just cover orzo and bring to a boil.
4. Cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook until al dente about 7-9 minutes.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Next heat a large skillet with 1 TBS olive oil.
7. Add 4 garlic cloves, green onions and cabbage and sauté until softened about 4 minutes.
8. Remove cabbage mixture and place on orzo.
9. Add spinach and remaining garlic to the pan. The heat will wilt the spinach in about 2 min.
10. Add to orzo.
11. Place pine nuts in pan and heat on low 2 minutes until lightly toasted and add to orzo.
12. Toss well to combine. Enjoy!
Note: Please salt and pepper along each step to taste